Major in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
The major in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies places gender and sexuality at the center of inquiry, drawing on the methodologies of the interdisciplinary field of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality studies. In required and elective courses for the major, students work together to explore the ways that race, ethnicity, sexuality, social class, nationality, age, and ability intersect to shape gendered experience, injustice, and social change. Using an intersectional lens, students gain expertise in analyzing gendered social roles and the ways in which they affect personal lives, artistic expression, work, relationships, institutional structures, the production of knowledge, and national and international political and economic relations.
Students are encouraged to:
- Reevaluate assumptions.
- Analyze the structures and systems controlling and shaping the lives of people of all genders.
- Use intersectional knowledge in practical and meaningful ways for gender equity and justice.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
The major in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies requires a minimum of 36 credits, of which 15 credits are required in the major, 12 credits are required in Field Electives, and 9 credits are required in Interdisciplinary Electives. 15 credits of electives must be at the 300-400 level. You may view a sample four-year plan for the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major in the WSU Catalog.
Required Courses (15 credits)
- WGSS 101 W ST Introduction to Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
OR WGSS 120 Sex, Race, and Reproduction in Global Health Politics
- WGSS/ANTH 332 Global Feminisms OR WGSS 340 Third World Women and Film OR WGSS 406 Women and Work in Global Contexts
- WGSS/SOC 385 Introduction to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Studies
- WGSS 481 Feminist Theory [M]
- WGSS/CRMJ 403 Violence Toward Women (CAPS)
OR WGSS 495 ReDirections in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (CAPS)
Field Electives (12 credits)
- WGSS 101: Introduction to Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- WGSS 120: Sex, Race, and Reproduction in Global Health Politics
- WGSS/ENGL 211: Sex Matters: Introduction to Queer Culture and Literature
- WGSS 220: Gender, Culture, and Science
- WGSS/SOC 300/ENGL310: Intersections Race, Class, Gender & Sexualities [M]
- WGSS 301: Introduction to Critical Race Feminism
- WGSS/SOC 302: Contemporary Masculinities
- WGSS /ENGL 309: Women Writers
- WGSS/ENGL 317: Gay and Lesbian Literature
- WGSS 321: Topics in Women’s Studies
- WGSS /ANTH 332: Global Feminisms
- WGSS/HIST 336: History of Sexualities
- WGSS 338: Gender, Race, and Popular Culture
- WGSS 340: Third World Women and Film
- WGSS/HIST 369: Queer Identities in Contemporary Cultures
- WGSS/SOC 385: Intro Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Studies
- WGSS/CRMJ 403: Violence Toward Women
- WGSS 406: Women and Work in Global Contexts
- WGSS 460: Gender, Race, and Nature in American Culture
- WGSS 477: Special Topics Study Abroad
- WGSS 485: Theoretical Issues in Queer Studies [M]
- WGSS 495: ReDirections in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Interdisciplinary Electives (9 credits)
- AMDT/ WGSS 422: Fat Studies
- AMST/ENGL/HIST/WGSS 216: Introduction to American Cultural Studies
- AMST/DTC/ENGL 475: Digital Diversity
- ANTH/WGSS 316: Gender in Cross Cultural Perspective
- BIOL/WGSS 307: Biology of Women
- CES/ANTH 312: Indigenous Women in Trad & Cont Societies
- CES/WGSS 411: Asian Pacific American Women
- CES 435: African American Women in US Society
- CES 454: Latinas in US Culture & Society
- COMM/WGSS 464: Gender and the Media
- ENGL/WGSS 308 Introduction to Literary Criticism [M]
- ENGL 482/WGSS 482: American Literature: 1940-Present
- FINE ART/WGSS 308: Women Artists I [M]
- FINE ART/WGSS 310: Women Artists II [M]
- HIST/WGSS 298: History of Women in American Society
- HIST/WGSS 335: Women in Latin American History
- HIST/WGSS 350: European Women’s History
- HIST/WGSS 399: Lesbian and Gay History
- HIST/ WGSS 398: History of Women in the American West
- MUS/WGSS 363: Women in Music
- PHIL/WGSS 425: Philosophy and Feminism
- POL S/ WGSS 305: Gender and Politics
- PSYCH/WGSS 230: Human Sexuality
- PSYCH/WGSS 324: Psychology of Gender
- SOC/WGSS 251: The Sociology of Sex, Relationships & Marriage
- SOC/WGSS 351: The Family
- SOC/WGSS 384: Sociology of Gender
- SOC/ WGSS 390: Gender and Work
- WGSS/PHIL 462: Women and Ethics [M]
Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies seeks to:
- Provide students with a systematic knowledge of the interdisciplinary scholarship about gender and by women and other gender minorities.
- Enhance the qualifications of students to work in today’s diverse workplaces.
- Further university and societal goals of diversity and equity.
- Work for social and institutional change.