Program in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Bachelor of Arts in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Women’s Studies
- Queer Studies
WGSS Program Strengths
- Faculty in WGSS work in a number of new research areas, including theories of identities and bodies, women and the environment, feminist theory, queer theory, global feminism, critical race studies, and disability studies.
- The WGSS program maintains close relations with the Women*s Center and the Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center.
- WGSS students tend to be people who want to make a difference in the world. Their personal goals and intellectual development are of major importance to our faculty.
- The program emphasizes collaborative learning and critical thinking in a global and activist context, one that gives students ownership over their education.
- Each student is assigned a faculty mentor who is a resource for majors who are pursuing graduate degrees, undergraduate research, academic publications, and career exploration within the field.
- 24 completed semester credits
- 2.0 minimum grade point average
Suggested Classes for First Year Students
- WGSS 101: Introduction to Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- WGSS 120: Sex, Race, and Reproduction in Global Health Politics
- WGSS/ENGL 211: Sex Matters: Introduction to Queer Culture and Literature
Suggested Classes for Transfer Students
- WGSS/SOC/ 300/ENGL 310: Intersections of Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality
- WGSS 338: Gender, Race, and Popular Culture
- WGSS/SOC 385: Introduction to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies
- WGSS 485: Theoretical Issues in Queer Studies
Any UCORE math, including:
- MATH 105: Exploring Mathematics
- PHIL 201: Elementary Logic
- WGSS 101: Introduction to Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies OR WGSS 120: Sex, Race, and Reproduction in Global Health Politics
- WGSS/ANTH 332 Global Feminisms OR WGSS 340 Third World Women and Film OR WGSS 406 Women and Work in Global Contexts
- WGSS/SOC 385 Introduction to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies
- WGSS 481: Feminist Theory
- WGSS/CRIM J 403: Violence Toward Women OR WGSS 495 ReDirections in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Work for nonprofit and/or nongovernmental agencies advocating for environmental justice, transgender rights, access to health care.
- Work in community service organizations, such as shelters and youth centers.
- Work in human resources, policy analysis, community development.
- Continue studies in law school, public health, social work, justice studies, gender studies, and much more.
- Change your world.
For more information
Leisa McCormick, M.A.
Academic Coordinator/Advisor 2
Avery 202J, MS 5020